Ensure that your community’s most vulnerable people don’t miss out
Here’s how to help non-filers in your community
The U.S. government is issuing stimulus checks to every eligible American. But for millions of people of low socioeconomic status (SES) — those most in need of the stimulus checks — there’s an extra step.
The IRS created an online form for people who don’t normally file a tax return, known as non-filers. It’s a free and easy way to provide basic information so people of low SES can receive their economic impact payment as soon as possible. Do you know someone who needs help getting their stimulus check? On their own or with the aid of a trusted person, the individual can visit IRS.gov and select the non-filer application.
Who is eligible to use the tool?
This free resource is designed for:
- People whose gross income from their 2018 or 2019 federal income tax return was under $12,200 for single filers or $24,400 for married couples
- People who aren’t required to file a 2018 or 2019 federal income tax return for other reasons
- People who receive Social Security, Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) or Railroad Retirement benefits and have children younger than 17
How long does it take?
The process only takes a few minutes to complete.
What are the next steps?
- Click or tap on “Non-Filers: Enter Payment Info” on irs.gov.
- Provide your name, address, Social Security number and that of dependents.
- If available, enter bank account information. This will allow the IRS to deposit directly into the account; otherwise, payment will be mailed to the address provided.
Who else should I share this information with?
Help your community by sharing this information with individuals, organizations and not-for-profits that interact with people of low SES:
- Your local chamber of commerce
- Religious associations and congregations
- Nursing homes
- Homeless shelters and other organizations that support non-filers
Sharing this information with those in need is how you can help make an impact during these unprecedented times.